Bed bugs are likely one of your worst nightmares! Fortunately, there are things you can do for bed bug prevention in your home.
- Reduce or eliminate the clutter in your home so that bed bugs do not have a place to hide.
- Use a mattress protector over your mattress and box spring. There are special mattress covers specifically for bed bug prevention on the market. While they cannot guarantee complete protection against bed bugs, they do at least help.
- Vacuum your house regularly in case bed bugs have been picked up anywhere.
- If you are using a public or shared laundry facility, transport your laundry in bags that have been cleaned and fold your laundry at home. This will help reduce possible bed bug contamination with others who may have brought them in.
- Wash your sheets and bedding regularly and dry with heat. In the case that a bed bug infestation has started at your house, heat can kill them.
Traveling is a common way that you can pick up bed bugs, so here are some tips for bed bug prevention outside of your home:
- Check the sheets and mattress where you are staying immediately.
- Check the luggage racks and behind the furniture in the room you’re staying in.
- Wash and dry your clothes in warm to hot temperatures to kill any possible bed bugs that may have gotten on your clothing.
If you find that you already have bed bugs, we would love to help you get rid of them. Give us a call at New Horizon Pest Solutions so we can eliminate this problem for you!